Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Mariah Wood : Project 1 Backdrop Mapping


Concept:
This space is on the basement floor of the UTD campus library where it is big and open.Though there are a lot of students in the study and seating areas, this space is relatively quiet and calm so that many may focus and study. I wanted to reflect that kind of atmosphere on the walls so that others may realize the quiet and open their minds to contemplation. If someone was stressed out, they may take a break and look at the projections to dissociate peacefully before getting back to work. Since this is UTD, I wanted to go with the school colors in terms of palette choices. If the library wanted to, they could also project helpful tips and information on the wall for students to see.


Technique:
Since this would be the first time I ever used MadMapper, I spent a majority of my time in the lab experimenting. I watched the tutorial videos, visited during Professor Scott's graduate class, and went around YouTube looking for techniques. I only have the basics down, but I used Quads in a majority of the spaces because that was easier for me to handle and manipulate. Walls and floor and ceilings are mostly square-like, so Quads made the most sense to me at the time. I decided to include lines around the wall projections to highlight and breakup some of the design. This was to accentuate color in the animation and provide smooth horizontal and vertical animation to emulate peace and stability. I layered quads over each other to create more complicated looking animations and designs to be more appealing and eye-catching to viewers. I did the same thing with lines and applied layers of different colors and animations.

Projection 1:

Projection 2:

Interpretation:
So far my work has just been an exploration of the layers and animations capable in MadMapper. It didn't even occur to me that I could upload some of my own material (videos, textures, etc.) until now. However, my projections can be used to either help bring a certain mood to the library or to allow the campus to reach out to students and faculty with messages, new, and updates. These projections in this space would not have worked as well if I wanted to make the piece political, since this is literally a corner in the library's basement. A bigger canvas with more visibility to an audience would help making a more interesting setting for a piece of art or political stance.

No comments:

Post a Comment