Monday, January 22, 2018

Travis Fowler: Project 1 Backdrop Mapping

Concept:
The area I selected is the South and West sides of the alumni center at UTD. I chose this area because it was close to the lab and can be seen from the windows of the 3D studio. A potential candidate for mapping from inside the lab (on the West side at least). I wanted to stay to simple color schemes for each composition. I also chose to animate each composition slowly because they were not music driven.

Techniques:
Mad Mapper is a very intuitive software to me. I break the madmapper world into two parts: you define a 2D space in the texture area with your content, then you adjust that 2D surface in 3D space by matching the perspective and contours of a building. The first composition is very tame, I was trying to create a mapping that could be played over an extended period of time (hours) without repeating content. The second mapping is much more involved. The patterns are either controlled with a random element or with a timing element. This helped me evaluate the mass of tools and filters native to madmapper that I will use as parameters for the content in upcoming projects.

Interpretation:
This project was much more of a exploration of the tools than a socio-political stance. That being said, I gained a few insights to the projection mapping practice. TREES will be in the way, sometimes they can be dealt using masks but the fact that they sway and move means they will DEFINITELY cast shadows. YOU CANNOT PROJECT DURING DAYTIME. The background image I used was taken during the day and the compositions I created would be impossible to recreate during the day. The sun always wins. Moving forward with projection mapping I will be drawing heavily from an artist I referenced in my L.E.D. sculpture, James Turrell. I am looking forward to using projection mapping to transform public spaces into public interactives that evolve slowly over long periods of time and that have the ability to attract without being distracting.




No comments:

Post a Comment