Sunday, January 21, 2018

Elizabeth Stegall: Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping

Concept:
I wanted to really use the outside of the ATEC building and utilize the modern architecture to add  the moving maps. I go to the ATEC building almost everyday and it seemed like a good idea to get a high angle of the building to add a bit more depth to the photo/video. If I wanted to get a high view I would need a picture from inside looking out, I also wanted to incorporate a bit of a UTD landmark into the photo as well. The reason for choosing mostly walls for my assignment is because I wanted to go for a more geometric approach with the previous stated modern architecture.





Technique:
I went to the third floor of the ATEC building and used the window to capture the depth of the walls and the love jack. To create the the projection maps I created three checkered board materials and and placed them diagonally along the wall to give it the 3D effect. I used the mesh feature that came with the checkered material to cut out the windows and stairs on the side walls. Then to add the UTD touch I colored the maps in the green and orange colors of our school.






Interpretation:
After tackling this assignment with a few bumps in the road I found that the software itself (demo) was quite easy to grasp and manipulate to the users will. I came into the project blind and it didn't take me long to know the basics of the software. My interpretation was the geometric style that complimented the windows and the walls of the "box" that I've taken the picture of. Giving everything a sort of boxy and straight sort of look.



                                        Stegall: Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping - YouTube




No comments:

Post a Comment