Monday, January 22, 2018

Falak Jamma- Project 1: Backdrop Mapping

Concept:

Going into the project I found myself troubled with what exactly I could do that I would be proud of. But the bigger issue was program knowledge. Watching the tutorials on madmapper not only helped me learn the program, but also helped me really understand what truly is possible with my own hands. I knew that If I learned about it the ideas would just come naturally. So I went around and took pictures around the house and tried eventually found an interesting area, a corner near a door and television.

Composition 1:



I brought in the photo I took into Photoshop and cropped it to 1080p and also masked some key objects that would help me put everything together in madmapper.




I mostly used the first Composition to learn the software. I decided I wanted the television to have an interesting animation that was green. Green is the color of the plants near the TV, so i thought it would be best to match the composition with that. I also made sure to have any movement go the same direction, like the floor and the television movements.
                            .
Video:
                                 

Interpretation: Great practice and learning session. This really let me know what I can truly do with the projection mapping tools. Though it isn't as complex as i'd like, I still gained a lot from this piece.



Composition 2:

With the knowledge I gained from working on the first composition, I set out to make another using the same image but incorporating the skills that I have with Adobe After Effects. I was going for a science-fiction feel. More blues and subtle glows.
 I used a still image of a simple man and animated him using the puppet pin tool. Also adding some interesting streak lines for a sense of motion. After adding a final glow, I rendered the sequence and imported it into madmapper.

I applied the video as a material onto a test card and applied it to the television in the composition. I also extended it into the background wall. I wanted the character to transport from the tv to the real world using the door. To sell this I added a portal-like effect to the door and a blue subtle glow coming from the ground.

Video: 



Interpretation: Using Madmapper in combination with other creative software that i'm proficient in will truly set me apart for the rest of the world. This composition has only made me more excited about meshing my prior knowledge with the tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment