Sunday, January 21, 2018

Will Russek - Project 1: Backdrop Mapping (Week 1-3)


Concept:


Going into this assignment, I ended up looking around campus for spaces that would be interesting to project on. What that meant to me was any large rectangular space, landscape or portrait, that was only slightly obscured by trees, foliage, bikes, et cetera. While looking at the basic generators and patterns that come stock within MadMapper, I decided I wanted to make some sort of squishy liquid type projection.



Technique:

For my first go at MadMapper, I feel like a gained a solid initial understanding of the program. To create the pattern I used in my final render, I used the 'Bar Code' material and distorted it by using the Mesh Warping tool. I created 4 vertical and 2 horizontal subdivisions and dragged the lower center point into the top corner. This warped the simple striped texture into a round, almost lava lamp-esque texture.




Interpretation:

After finally sitting down and working in MadMapper, I'm really pleased with how user-friendly it is. I went into the project with a simple idea, and produced the results I wanted with ease. To make things more interesting, I will have to learn as much about the software I can and make the workflow second nature. I'm excited to see what techniques I will learn, and I'm excited to explore into the Audio/MIDI aspects of the medium.






No comments:

Post a Comment