Sunday, January 21, 2018

Jeremiah Baker - PM Assignment 1

Concept:
For this assignment I thought it would be interesting to see what I could do to a house. I can see some potential for using this process as a substitute for Christmas lights. There have been some incredible choreographed light shows at people's houses that I've seen, and I though it would be interesting to take that idea and shift it to the modern age. All of the shows I've seen use only traditional Christmas lights, which produces a really cool effect, but could be way more complex. Integrating projection mapping with traditional Christmas lights, the complexity, the color variance, and the content could be widely expanded.

original image

process

I figured what better house to make a test on than my own. This image also presented a bit of a challenge with the masking.



These are just a couple of concept ideas trying out different things. I imitated the crawling ants you see in a lot of Christmas lights, but as a more smooth motion. For the rest of the house, I just used some of the built in graphics. 

Process:
I found the UI in madmapper to be surprisingly easy to use. Adding and scaling assets was super easy. The masking does leave a bit to be desired (no bezier), but using alpha images would solve that problem. I was also interested to see that there wasn't an option to add more than one mask per asset. The vector lines were really easy to animate and customize. I can see how creating custom assets and SVGs would produce a really high quality image. Running the program did make my computer work a bit, but it handled the framerate really well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment