Sunday, January 21, 2018

Raymond Allen: Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping

Concept:

For a majority of my work I wanted to focus on the mundane around UTD and attempt to bring it some form of vitality.  I never said I would be good at this (as a preface) but I do pass a few areas around campus daily that look like they can use some form of rejuvenation as a large amount of work went into creating them. As a first project in 3-D mapping goes, I feel like anything can go into making these spaces more alive and active.




Technique:

Honestly, with zero experience in Mad Mapper I just wanted to produce a product that was better than the pre-existing environment before it so I picked two of the most stagnant settings on campus I could find and added some form of animation that the app could provide.  For the first scene I wanted to add something relevant to UTD to be school spiritual so I over-abused the school colors to map out enthusiasm all over the ATEC building.

The second environment I activated was merely an exercise in animation. I wanted to see how a lively environment would look in a previous "passerby" space.  

Interpretation:


In my attempt to realize school  spirit I messed around with numerous media presets. I would have loved to have found a setting to cycle through the rgb settings, but most preset medias left me with only two color options, making a school setting selection an obvious scheme to work with.



I walk by this space almost daily and all I really wanted to bring to it as a first assignment is some sense of vitality.  I used the square array across multiple different surfaces to achieve at least a basic level of animation in a space I would otherwise refer to as "dead inside".


No comments:

Post a Comment