Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Jacob Hunwick Project 2: Shoe Mapping

Concepts:

In high school I was the lead designer for a skate company I co-founded. Over the years I have been collecting songs fit for promotional videos. This song, Daily Routine, is one of my favorites off the playlist. It start off very unconventionally with erratic and off-time bursts of sound. These sound bites then start speeding up until the sound is blaring.

Using the music as inspiration for the visuals, I wanted to capture the feeling of energy building up. 

Techniques:

To achieve this, most of my time went into audio controls and keyboard controls. In order to sync up the cue switches I simply linked the cue play button to my keyboard. In addition, to have control over the audio player, I linked the play and loop functions to O and P respectively. To get the lines to jump with each successive audio flare in the beginning, I altered the input and output ranges. Fine tuning so the lines accelerated alongside the audio proved tricky. In the end I got the effect I was looking for.

Execution:

For my stage I used a small table, a shoebox, a piece of styrofoam, light white fabric, and a gray sheet.

I stacked the face of the table on top of the box and let two legs rest on the floor, propped up against the wall. Next I draped the white fabric over the entire setup. Lastly, I wrapped the gray sheet over everything. The white fabric beneath the sheet adds volume and lightness to the setup. This contrasts with the weight of the shoe.

For the shoe I used my oxford Dr. Martens.

Opposite the stage and shoe I sat my pico projector on top of a box. After completing the setup I went about masking each piece I wanted to project on, and began experimenting with materials.

Once I had my 6 quads mapped and complete with materials, I broke them into two cues and began the process of syncing media elements to audio elements.



The three following images depict the construction of my stage. With a more powerful projector, I would have been able to illuminate the texture and layers of the stage. In future projects, I am looking to pick up a higher lumen projector.


My current pico projector. The low lumen makes illuminating dark backgrounds and fabrics a bit difficult. For the next project I am looking to upgrade. 





No comments:

Post a Comment