Friday, March 26, 2021

Samuel Estep Project 2: Shoe Mapping

 Concept:  Since our projects were supposed to have music to go along with them and because a lot of the music I enjoy doesn't tend to play well with algorithms that try to interpret music, I wanted to try a method of controlling the projection that I don't remember reading about.

 Technique:  In order to control my project, I did it through the power of MIDI.  Not a midi controller (I don't have one), but a midi file.  However, MadMapper doesn't have a way to use a midi file to control your project.  What I did was set up a DAW (in my case, Reaper), then route the output from a midi file through a virtual midi cable (LoopBe1), and into MadMapper.

This is what my midi file looked like for this project.  Unfortunately due to time constraints not all of the notes are used, but many are.





Interpretation: Ironically, the song I chose to use in the project (Shpongle Falls - Shpongle) would probably have worked very well with MadMapper's audio controllers due to it having a fairly strong, consistent beat.  However, I continued with my concept anyway because being able to use a midi file to control the project would give me a lot more control than I otherwise would have.  Unfortunately due to time constraints I wasn't able to make full use of the midi file I had set up, nor was I able to fully utilize my subject (the subject, being made out of leather, posed some unforeseen difficulties in the way it reflected light).  Nevertheless, I am fairly happy with the way it turned out.




No comments:

Post a Comment