Monday, March 22, 2021

Vanessa Le Project 2: Shoe Mapping

Concept:
For this project, I decided to map onto my Doc Martens. Since Doc Martens were popular in the 90s, I chose to center my project around this decade. I chose a color palette filled with pastel pink, yellows, and blues, and based a few designs on the 90s.

Process:
I started off with setting up my shoe and projector. The first thing I did was create multiple masks in MadMapper. I masked the entire shoe, and then certain parts of the shoe, like the bottom where the sole is and where the stitching creates a clear separation between certain parts of the shoe.

Next, I chose the music that I wanted. To continue with the 90s concept, I chose the song “Poison” covered by Jes Macallan. It was fun and upbeat, which helped with the way I projected my designs.

Afterwards, I started collecting inspiration as to what I could do for this project. This is where I came up with my color palette, and design ideas. It was difficult to come up with ways to map creatively and still have the 90s theme be clearly conveyed. I focused on 90s related patterns with the repetition of shapes. I also wanted to incorporate the grid generator in MadMapper as it slightly represents the vaporwave aesthetic from this decade as well.

I created a few images and videos in After Effects and Photoshop to transfer into MadMapper. The videos that I created were to create a better effect on how the shoe is designed. Having the pink colored shoe with the yellow zig-zags transition to the yellow colored shoe with a smiley face, was how I incorporated a 90’s design into MadMapper. Along with the white colored backing with the shapes appearing.



 

 

 

 

 

 

Since I wanted certain parts of the shoe to have a different color, as to represent the color blocking that was also popular in the 90s, I had to create that image in Photoshop and import them into MadMapper. I took a picture of the shoe angled where the projector is and used that as my foundation. There were a few overlaps, but with the mask tool in MadMapper, it was easily removed and fixed.

 
Interpretation:
Here is the final video for my 90’s theme shoe mapping project.





No comments:

Post a Comment