Monday, March 22, 2021

Khadeeja Zulqarnain: Project 2 Shoe Mapping

Concepts:

I wanted to use a chunkier white shoe to have more wide surface areas, defined sections and also because I just love the aesthetic. For my music choice I wanted to incorporate some of my culture and so I was leaning towards mixing together Bollywood and some type of EDM or Trap style music together. I also wanted the final product to have contrasting patterns to match the music. Lastly, I chose to throw in the viral Tiktok reference "I ain't never seen two pretty best friends" just for fun. 


Techniques:

I created a projection setup with a table and some black cloth and a box to elevate my show to create the illusion of a floating shoe. I chose a slightly lower angle to project onto the shoe to minimalize shadow and lend to the floating effect. 


Once in the correct position I photographed the shoe as close the angle of projection as I could and used that as background guide in MadMapper to help me create the mask. I then projected my version one mask onto the shoe and first adjusted in MadMapper then tweaked the projector position. I finalized the mask by altering points in accordance to how they were being projected with some assistance from a sibling because my room setup prevented me from being able to get close enough. Once perfected I added some lines to outline and section the shoe for the composition I wanted to make. I started playing around with the scenes and cues, but quickly realized I needed to find a sound to help guide the choice of visuals. It took about a day and at first I only listened to Western (English) music before moving on to Bollywood. However neither had a good mix of what I was looking for. until I came across Dots by Dilip. It falls under the genre of dark trap and is an instrumental containing EDM and desi instruments and vocals. 

I knew I wanted to incorporate a rainbow effect so to do that I created a quad and chose a lava lamp like media, then used the cues to create different color changes and transitioned with ease out so it looked smooth. I then added strobing effect to the sections I created and made cues that activated a different one with each color and set the strobe settings to BPM. To top off this first part I added the soundwave media to react with the song. 

For the second part with the Tiktok reference I used the text generator and a sound reactive glitch grid to add color. For the last bit I wanted to highlight the logo, although it's not anything special just a generic brand, I changed the media from the soundwave mask to a strobing media and warped it to the logo and used a rainbow lerp background. I ended up using warping points to mold the medias to the sections, but this ended up limiting the media I could've used visually and so in the future I will use more masks and stay away from warping the planes as much. 

To film I used a tripod and a Samsung Note10. To play the final composition I had to set the auto play duration to a low number of BPM to make the rainbow transition fast, but it was too fast to see the first and last part. To fix this I simply played the first part manually then put my cues on auto play until it was time to play the last part manually. It took seven takes to get the timing right, but in the end I feel it turned out great. 

To make sure MadMapper heard the audio I played my sound on a tablet near my laptop mic, which changed the quality of the sound in the final video since it was further away from the phone mic. To fix this I edited the audio over the original video in post and also added in the Tiktok audio I was referencing. 





Interpretation:

The song Dots by Dilip incorporates classic Desi instruments and vocals in a dark trap style instrumental track. I chose this track because I wanted a song that both referenced my own culture's music and at the same time could be enjoyed by everyone. The composition follows the beats of the song and the rainbow colors a personal aesthetic choice that also reference the often vivid Bollywood song and dance scenes. 


Final Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment