Sunday, March 21, 2021

Project 2: Shoe Mapping; Ysatis Muniz


Concept:
For my projection, I went for a rock vibe. Shoe ads usually have an upbeat vibe and make you kind of excited, so I wanted to go for the same vibe, except with a bit of an edge. 

Process:
First I watched the MadMapper videos and put extra focus on the masking ones and lines with the bezier function. I also watched a video based on scenes and cues. After I watched these videos, I set up a brown bed sheet on my desk since I had nothing black that was big enough. I held it up with some thumbtacks and I picked my black high-top converse to use for the project. I set the shoe in the middle of the desk and then I set up my projector on the tripod.

 I opened MadMapper and had trouble trying to figure out how to connect my output to my projector. Once I got it connected, I projected a grid onto my shoe to figure out where/how close to place my projector. Once I had that figured out, I started mapping onto my shoe with masks. I created different layers which consisted of my main outline of the shoe, the bottom white part of the shoe, the circle of the converse logo, the outline of this circle, the star inside of it, the outline of this star, the two circles in the middle of the shoe near the bottom, and the lines where we can see where the shoe is sewn. I made these masks with line, the ellipse mask, and the quad mask. I also used mesh warping to conform to the shoe. After I made the masks, I had to decide which song I wanted to do my project with because I couldn't start doing a design/cue before I knew what kind of song I was associating it with. I decided to go with a more rock, upbeat type of song because that's the kind of vibe that I get from converse. I then proceeded to go through my "hype emo songs" playlist (...yup no ragrets) and was in between A Match Into Water by Pierce The Veil and Kick Me by Sleeping With Sirens. I ended up going for the latter. I then proceeded to do my cues. After I finished my cues, I decided to manually control the timing of the cues. So, before recording I decided to practice a couple of times to make sure that I got the timing right. After I finished practicing, I tried recording it on my computer, but the quality wasn't that great and you couldn't really see one of my cues. So, I tired recording with my phone, which yielded better results. However, I only have one tripod, and that was being used for the projector. Therefore, I had to hand record it, which is why the shoe was kind of moving in the video. 
Interpretation:
I wanted to make my cues go along with the song/beats, so I did a few different cues. Since thecover art for the song has a red background (and I kind of associate red with rock) I wanted to include red in my compositions. 

I also tried to do cues where there was a lot of movement because the song is pretty upbeat. For my first cue, it was only melody/the beginning of the sound so I wanted to make it calm yet suspenseful, so I did the siren movement on the shoe. It also reminded me of those old counting down transitions where the number is in the middle of the circle and then in a circular motion a clock-like hand wipes off the number and continues to the next number.

 Anyways, I thought that this motion was perfect for the beginning of the song and composition. For every hard beat (I don't know how else to describe it) I wanted to do a static cue, so I only did solid colors. For a large portion of the composition, I had a voice effect that reminds me of the music video "Do I Wanna Know?" by the Artic Monkeys. 

They're considered rock, so I wanted to do the same thing on the shoe. I also connect this voice effect to loudness, so I thought that this was perfect for the song. For one of my cues, it has flashing motions. I included this cue in the part of the song where the drums, guitar, and singing come together harshly. I included flashing at this part because it feels like adrenaline and it reminds me of being in a concert where everything is overstimulating. The following cue I also related it to being in a concert, because I included a kind of light beam that you usually see at a concert.

 For the next cue, I also included a lot of movement and a bit of flashing to keep that concert feel. For the rest of my composition I reuse the cues that I have already done. I used the beginning cue as my last cue because the song slowed down a little and therefore is more calm, and it was also the end of the chorus. Overall, I wanted my projection to give off a sort of concert feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment