Monday, May 10, 2021

AJ Silverman: Project 4 Final Project

 Snake Plant - Sleepyhead by Passion Pit




Concept

The main object being projected onto is my two-foot-tall (real!) snake plant, behind which is a plain white board. Two Processing programs are Syphon'd into MadMapper, the Growth Decay one is controlled manually using the keys. The scenes are timed to change based on the instrumental version of the song Sleepyhead by Passion Pit.




Technique

Both of the Processing programs were created and used for previous projects (reuse recycle?) and minor changes were made to accommodate my laptop's processing power to avoid major lag. Growth Decay is projected onto the real snake plant, and I manually control where the initial activation areas begin using the keys. This is how I achieve the sweeping motions. I am also able to trigger the swirl mode with the keys.

Two fake snake plants emerge from behind the real plant. This is a picture that was taken of the real plant at the same angle as the projector and edited in Photoshop.

The fourth scene is the only one to feature audio controls, where the star sketch overlays the fake plants and flickers to the beat.


Interpretation

I liked the idea of projecting onto something organic and unruly in shape, so my snake plant was a good candidate for that. The idea for the fake plants emerging from the real one was an attempt to blur the lines between 2D and 3D. Choosing Sleepyhead for the song happened midway into the project. I wanted to find something calmer than my usual choices, but still energetic enough to be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment