Saturday, May 8, 2021

Jacob Hunwick Project 4: Michigan's in the Rearview

 Concepts:

When the pandemic hit, I was in Germany studying abroad. I was living in Marburg studying German Language. The pandemic sent me home after 7 incredible weeks in which I met many lifelong friends and improved my German greatly. After moving back to Texas for 4 months I realized my hometown in Michigan might be a better place to ride through the storm.

Michigan ended up teaching me more than I ever expected. I lived through a devastating winter storm, power outages,  learned open-water distance swimming, and volunteered as a builder for an organic farm.

Overall the time has taught me a lot about nature and how the world works at the smallest levels. To commemorate this past year and a half in Michigan I created this piece. It consist of footage from the parks around my house paired with myself singing and playing "Michigan" by the Milk Carton Kids on guitar.

Techniques:

I have been practicing this song for many years. Little did I know it would come in handy for this final project of projection mapping. Having a compelling sound track makes the process of finding and paring visuals much easier.

For my stage to showcase my footage I created a trifold structure and mapped 6 rectilinear faces onto the form. Behind the form clouds are floating by to sustain the nature theme.

I automated the scenes to play through at specific intervals. This was in attempt to get certain visuals to match up with particular moments in the song. 

Interpretations:

The final composition came out very close to how I envisioned it. If I were to perfect this piece I would make the trifold stage appear as if on an isometric grid to the camera. This would cause an interplay between the 2-dimensional videos projected on the left-hand shape and the shape itself. The concept of a 'window' looking into past videos played in well with the lyrics, particularly the phrase "Michigan's in the Rearview".


No comments:

Post a Comment