Friday, May 7, 2021

Jacob Hunwick Project 3: Relief Mapping

 Concepts:

15 Step by Radiohead sits atop my list of favorite songs. I first started listening to this song at a very young age as my Dad, who plays the drums, would play it frequently. I wanted to emphasize the beat by having the textures start scrolling in various directions in rhythm with the beat.

In cue one I incorporated cloudy textures whose scale, speed and direction modulate with audio and key presses.

In cue two I wove the dunes texture over 4 surfaces to create movement and interest.

Techniques:

For the background I created a cardboard relief sculpture out of a large box. The sculpture features 8 prominent rectilinear faces formed into cubes popping out of the wall. First I first drew out the structure I wanted on the back, then I cut the outline and stitched it together with matte brown tape.

In order to get the surfaces to coordinate with the beat I programmed the O, P, M, N and B keys to the following:

O: Reset song. This is useful when prototyping.
P: Play song. Again useful for prototyping.

M: Change direction and speed of movement of 3 surfaces in Cue 1.
N: Change direction and speed of movement of 3 surfaces in Cue 1.
B: 
 Change direction and speed of movement of 4 surfaces in Cue 2.

During the composition, I am manually playing with the M, and N keys to coordinate with the beat.

I also connected the playback speed of the surfing video in Cue 2 to the audio to make it appear as if the beat were causing the surfer to pause mid-motion.

Interpretations:

I like the interplay between the various faces on the piece. As the beat goes on, it influences the direction of the textures. This creates movement and interest and connects the audio elements with the video.

Overall I think the relief sculpture I designed combined dimension, movement, and perspective well.

Final Composition:

There are two cues utilized. The break comes about halfway in. Watch through the end as I explore the piece from different angles with the camera:


No comments:

Post a Comment