Monday, May 3, 2021

Koby Wheeler - Project 4: Extension of Cara Mia Project/ "We're Back"

Concept

For this project, I used the song "You" by Petit Biscuit to create what I consider a sort of extension of the Cara Mia project done by Lightsquad, however, this story is rounded out with the joys that come from getting vaccinated and being able to finally start to get back to a semi-normal life.

Process

Because of space/logistical constraints (ie I'm moving apartments in 5 days) I decided I was going to create this piece strictly in Madmapper, similar to the first project. I first found a photo of the Empire State Building as I knew that was the building I wanted to build a projection for. I pulled the photo and measured the dimensions in Photoshop so I could build the content to the correct dimensions. After that, I created a custom preset in Premiere Pro with the correct pixels and began to gather footage. I focused mostly on content for this project as there was a lot to sort through, both for music and for video content to sort through to hit the right tone and progression of clips and audio. I was able to gather footage early on from the pandemic from YouTube and vaccine, ambulance, and outdoor clips from the free video site, Pexels. Once the footage was edited together I imported the photo of the Empire State Building and the video into Madmapper and put together a planar map with an "add" overlay to let some of the building show through. 

Interpretation

I enjoyed making this piece because I saw it as an extension of the Cara Mia project and rounding out the circle of what has been an incredibly hard 14 months. While the pandemic isn't over yet, I think many people will find solace and hope in this piece and what is to come over the next few months as we gain back more of normal life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment