Friday, May 14, 2021

P4 - Final Project

 


Concept: For me it is important that media has a message and I've always wanted to create a documentary style video that raises awareness and puts the spotlight on my industry (the live events industry) - we are the crew members who work backstage to make your concerts and shows come together. Covid has completely halted the multi-billion dollar live event industry. Most regular people don't realize just how many thousands of show production employees are completely out of work indefinitely because of this. We were the first to get shut down, and will be the last to re-open. 

Technique:  Since I couldn't go out and record the documentary myself (thanks to Covid), I decided to collect a bunch of videos from a YouTube mini series provided by Live Nation called "Backstage with Crew Nation" and I edited them in Premier Pro to make a shorter compilation of the whole series. This took quite a bit of time because the series is over an hour long in total but I edited down to 6 minutes while trying to maintain coherence and consistency through the cuts. I thought about including some of my own backstage footage but I think I'll put that in another project. 

The surface I projected onto is hand painted white and built from canvas and a variety of wooden blocks. I tried to arrange the blocks in a way that would create some sort of 3D element but also not protrude too much which I gaffed and then gorilla glued together. I also spray painted the surface with silver glitter to give it an interesting reflective element (my favorite part). 
 





Interpretation: This video represents not only my life currently with the pandemic, but the lives of many of my friends, relatives, and coworkers who are also effected by the loss of live events. For me, this is painful to watch yet gives me hope and reminds me of how great the entertainment industry really is and I get excited knowing how much FUN we are going to have when the industry returns. I'm very passionate about what I do and I think I have achieved my goal of raising awareness and showing the lives of those people who typically work in the shadows. I really enjoy seeing some big name artists giving credit to their production crew cause that honestly does NOT happen very often in show business.

No comments:

Post a Comment